posted on August 25, 2017 09:14
At KPUB we take the safety of our customers and employees very seriously. With severe storms looming in the forecast we want to take this opportunity to remind our customers how to be prepared.
· Stay away from downed power lines! Treat all wires as if they are "live" (energized). Report damaged power lines immediately by calling 911 and KPUB at 830-257-2883.
· Protect electronic devices such as televisions, stereos, computers and printers with a power strip equipped with a surge protector to avoid sudden spikes and surges that could damage electrical devices when power is restored.
· Keep one light turned on to know when power has been restored.
· Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed to keep food cold longer. According to the American Red Cross, an unopened refrigerator will keep foods cold for about four hours. Also, a full freezer will keep the temperature for 48 hours if the door remains closed.
· Use caution with candles and generators, carefully placing them so as not to create a fire or carbon monoxide poisoning hazard.
· Locate flashlights and ensure they have fresh batteries
· Charge phones, laptops or other electronic devices
· Fill your vehicle with fuel
· Use caution when driving, as traffic signals may be disrupted. Turn around, don't drown.
· To report an outage call KPUB at 830-257-2883
Thank you to the first responders protecting, serving, and putting their lives on the line every day to keep us all safe.