One way to make sure you’re being as efficient (and, therefore, as conservative) as possible in your energy spending is to go through an energy audit. An energy audit can be a valuable tool to understanding your energy usage, utility bill and ways for you to then help reduce it.
Kerrville Public Utility Board offers both residential and commercial energy audits. This program is a free service to our residential customers.
A KPUB representative will inspect your home or business and with a written report, make recommendations for improving the energy efficiency. All aspects of the home or business are evaluated.
Some of the items inspected are:
- Air Conditioning: The number one energy consumer in the typical home is the heating and air conditioning system. Changing filters and using economical thermostat settings will save money!
- Attic Insulation: Recommended: R-38, approximately 12″. Additional insulation can be added to existing insulation to save money.
- Attic Ventilation: Allows summertime heat to escape; reduces heat load on the house, ductwork and extends shingle life. Most homes need more ventilation.
- Water Heating: Lower thermostat settings to 120° F. Wrap exposed pipes and add a blanket to the tank.
- Air Infiltration: Seal drafty doors and windows with weather-stripping and caulking. Install double pane windows and treat with tinting or Low-E coating to reduce summer heat gain and winter heat loss.
- Lighting: Replace incandescent bulbs with more energy efficient fluorescent bulbs. Compact fluorescent lamps are now available for regular light sockets and save 50 to 75% of lighting costs.
- Appliances: Cleaning the coil under the refrigerator will help it run cooler and more efficiently. Disconnect the power first!
- Miscellaneous: Outside equipment, well pumps & aerobic-type septic pumps, can often be overlooked as they are seldom visible and can significantly affect the bill.
REQUEST AN ENERGY AUDIT
It’s easy to request an energy audit online with KPUB! Just login to your SmartHub account and select “report an issue/inquiry” on the right to initiate your request.
Energy audits will be scheduled during normal business hours according to staff availability, and KPUB’s staff will not make repairs to any customer’s equipment.
For more information about this program, contact our energy efficiency specialist at 830.257.3050 or email [email protected].