If a power line comes in contact with your vehicle you are in an extremely dangerous situation that should be handled in a calm manner. Always assume that a power line is energized and NEVER touch them.
- First and foremost, DO NOT touch your vehicle and the ground or two different areas of the ground at the same time.
- Stay in your vehicle unless you absolutely have to leave it and call 9-1-1 and KPUB at 830-257-3050 immediately. The only reason you should leave your vehicle is if it is on fire.
- Warn others that try to help to stay at least 35 feet away because the surrounding area could be energized. Tell them to call 9-1-1 and contact KPUB.
- If you absolutely must leave your vehicle, you first need to open the door but do not step out.
- Next, stand on the door frame of your vehicle, cross your arms, and jump away from the vehicle, landing on both feet.
- Lastly, hop with both feet together or take small shuffling steps without picking up your feet. It is extremely important to keep both feet in contact with the ground at the same time to avoid shock or electrocution.
If this tragic and scary event were to occur, remember these steps and act carefully and calmly to stay as safe as possible. Your safety and the safety of others should be your top priority.